A theoretical poster for the MCG Jazz Concert Series of 2017 and 2018. With this project the goal was to focus on typographical hierarchy and the content being marketed.
A theoretical poster for the MCG Jazz Concert Series of 2017 and 2018. With this project the goal was to focus on typographical hierarchy and the content being marketed. You can see my complete process on my Medium page, but here's a little insight into my iterations and my process.
In part one we were given a few short tasks to explore the tools we have to indicate this hierarchy. In addition to the specific alteration for each step, we were also given permission to alter the position of the type on the page. With a letter sized vertical page, we were given the ability to work with one of three fonts: Frutiger, Univers, or Acumin, with the type set at (24/30). Within these font families we can use Light 45, Roman 55, Bold 65, and Black 75.
After initially playing with stroke weight, spacing, indentation, and color we then go back to two stroke weights and can play with scale as well as text placement. For this task I found myself really drawn to really exaggerated scale and weight for the most important item- the title of the event. After finding sizes I relatively liked, I found it interesting to play more with placement and especially liked the last of these three experimentations and the idea of breaking up the dates by year.
For this task we were permitted to use any kind of imagery we’d like, whether it be graphic or photographic, etc. I chose to focus on photography. Four out of the six posters feature photos curtesy of my friend Maddie Robbins, who recently took photos of a jazz concert at the University of Northern Colorado. After this step I got a lot of feedback saying that these all felt too literal and I definitely felt regret for not playing around with more diverse imagery, and wanted to do more experimentations going forward.
Thanks to Unsplash I found some great, more ethereal imagery to use in place of my literal jazz singers. These images alone still felt too simple, though, so from here I decided to combine some of the kinds of imagery I had before as well as with other content.
I really liked how these combined images are starting to work and although I liked the orange tones in my initial studies I decided to continue with the cooler toned image, but started to look at what it would look like to have a closer crop. I thought this would help take the man’s identity out of focus to make the color and overall mood of the image become the focus.
After settling on a crop I then began to play with placement of text and further decided to continue from here on with the more blue toned poster and the middle layout.
After getting a handle on the overall layout, I was left with the issue of how do I make the separation of the dates feel clear of my intentions? I was drawn to the idea of separating the dates by the year, but because the dates are lower in my hierarchy, the audience couldn’t put together that that’s how this information was clumped together, so I began to play around with taking the 2017 and 2018 from the subtitle to define the clumps of artists and dates.
This ended up being my final poster design as you saw at the beginning. From the trials before, the size and opacity of the years made them fit well into my intended hierarchy, after the title and even the subtitle, but still more important than the artists and specific dates of each performance.
Overall I feel pretty satisfied with my final poster design. I like the mood that comes from the poster which is more cool and laid back with the cool color palette, but has the fun energy with the dynamic shape of the light burst. With these two worlds being conveyed you can get the sense of both the slow, more laid back jazz beat, and the uptempo rhythm it can also have. While I am still not 100% satisfied with the spacing of everything, I think I achieved a good hierarchy of information that is clear and approachable.